Sunday, September 14, 2008

Jets vs Pats 2008

If the Jets win, I predict the following statements from NFL analysts:
1) The Jets are now the team to beat in the East
2) What a difference Brett Favre is to the team (and how Chad Pennington could not have made some throw in the game)
3) It just shows how valuable Tom Brady is

If the Pats win, I predict the following statements from NFL analysts:
1) Football is a team game
2) The road to the AFC East goes through New England
3) Defense wins championships
4) Brett Favre is still learning the system
5) That's why Bill Belichick is a hall of fame coach

I think this is going to be a close, defensively oriented game. For the Jets to win they will need their offensive line to get a good running game going against the Patriots, who are vulnerable in that area. On the flip side, they will need to stifle New England's run game with their own revamped defense. Biggest non-injury fear - Brett Favre is perplexed by the Belichick defensive schemes.

2 comments:

PJ said...

I think it's pretty clear that the Jets defense will not have much trouble with the Pat offense. But I think the Jets offense, while not stellar, can move the ball against New England pretty consistently. I don't think the game will be that close.

Favre won't be confused by Belichick--he never has been before. Your bigger worry should be whether the Belichick scheme will confuse and break down the Jets' protection.

PJ said...

Though I'm happy to be wrong, I was surprised the New England defense played so well. Part of me thinks Favre may know/understand the Jets offense, but not well enough for it to be second nature to him.