Monday, February 02, 2009

Super Bowl Halftime Show

I'm catching up with the second half of the Super Bowl as well as the halftime show.

For my money, the MVP was LB James Harrison, who ran back that 100 yd interception. That caused a nearly 10 point swing and ended up being a huge play in terms of the final score. Maybe I'll change my mind if the 2nd half has some impressive plays.

During the halftime show - did Bruce Springsteen slide crotch first into a camera? Is that the Max Weinberg 7 from Conan O'Brien? I knew Max was in the E Street Band, but to see the rest of the gang there was something new. The bald guy on keyboards looks like David Letterman's sidekick Paul Schaffer!

2nd Half
-Denny's gave away free breakfast this AM? There's a Denny's in Manhattan? Wish I had heard this sooner, although I wonder what the crowd was like there.

-I find the Budweiser clydesdales this year completely unfunny and uninteresting. Are there going to be more commercials with them?

-In the game, Arizona can't get out of their own way in the 3rd quarter. I'm counting 3 personal fouls on the first Pittsburgh drive. Luckily they still hold Pittsburgh to only 3 on the drive with two good goal line stands.

-Kurt Warner's wife has long blonde hair? What happened to the 1999 version of Brenda Warner?


-Briefly annoyed by Chuck ad that claims "flattened" versions of the characters are 1 dimensional because it should be two dimensions.

-Cash4gold.com is a real website? I thought it was a joke!

-Arizona's passing game picking up in the 4th. It looks like what they're able to do is send 2-3 receivers down the same side at different depths, force the Steelers defensive players to commit to showing how they'll cover them and hope that Warner has enough time to spot the open receiver.

-Wow, a safety! Yet I still can't get the 5's I need. Also a rule I never knew: holding in the end zone is a safety. Is that the only penalty that leads to points?

-That the Cardinals kept it close was a huge shock to me. That they even ever got a lead in the 4th quarter even more impressive. I think in order to be successful in today's NFL, a team absolutely needs a huge receiver like Larry Fitzgerald. Just look at the differences that Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Plaxico Burress have made for their teams.

-After the catch to put the Steelers ahead, I'll change my mind. Santonnio Holmes is the MVP. Great catch and he had 9 catches overall. When the Cardinals were winning, I guess the candidate would have been Warner, or maybe Fitzgerald.

-On the final play of the game, Kurt Warner's play is an incomplete pass in my opinion. Al Michaels called it a fumble because "his arm is not coming forward" but it sure looks like it's coming forward to me. He also cocked his arm back in a throwing position to release the ball.

-2004 looks like it was a great draft year for quarterbacks. Consider quarterbacks drafted in the first round of
2003: Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman
2004: Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, JP Losman
2005: Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell
2006: Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler

-Pretty exciting game. I definitely didn't expect it to be this close, but a really strong finish. Why does Joe Namath present the Lombardi trophy? I shudder every time I see him on national television and remember his interview with Suzy Kolber on ESPN a few years back. Oh well, let the 2009 season begin!

No comments: