Saturday, May 22, 2004

Bands

One of the reasons that Pearl Jam is my favorite band...

I just finished reading the recent fan club newsletter. It was done in the form of a tabloid newspaper, like The Onion. The "Review Mirror" focused on books and had excerpts from a real variety of writers - Jeremy Rifkin, Cornel West, Ralph Abraham, Adam Bellow and more. I've never read their stuff before but now I'm considering it. An ad in the back of the paper reads, "Enlarge your membership" and includes testimonials from recently enlarged "members." To boot, the single was a 33" record that featured Reach Down (w/Chris Cornell) and the Ramones' I Believe in Miracles. Oh, and the last fan club newsletter was a CD sized book that had photos and set lists from all the shows of their 2003 tour. I got all this for $15/year. Is there any band that gives this sort of diverse material back to the fans? Did I mention that I like the music too?

No comments: