Thursday, January 04, 2007

Brief Notes on the Yankees

The Yankees are trading Randy Johnson back to Arizona. I think we can say that Johnson's time in NY was unsuccessful - he was expected to be an ace and win a World Series. He did neither. I don't really hold it against him, however, as he was so old. It's too bad it has to end like this. The Yankees gave up a lot to get him and aren't getting nearly the same value in return. I wonder if they should have ever made the trade in the first place.

They also signed Doug Mientkiewicz, and I think it's a big mistake. I know that Mientkiewicz's defense is supposed to be superb, but I don't think it outweighs his terrible bat and the fact that he's old. I get the feeling he might not make it through the season with the team. It's nice to have a 1B for defensive purposes but he's left handed, old and a poor hitter. The Yankees could use someone young and right handed.

It looks like Bernie Williams will not be back with the team, and that's also too bad. Mike Francesa of WFAN suggested that the Yankees should have tried to train Bernie last year to play 1B and then he would have had some value with the team. Sounds like a reasonable idea, but I wonder if it could have even been done.

No comments: