Sunday, January 17, 2010

Some thoughts before SD vs NYJ

I have to say, I didn't think I'd be watching football this far into the year. I hope the Jets win today but I think it's going to be a really tough game. They need to play near perfect football, I think. The good news, is that the last few weeks, they have been. However, at times this season they have made some mistakes and been unable to overcome them.

As I watch the Vikings take a 14-3 lead over the Cowboys, I realize how much I can't stand Brett Favre. What a selfish jerk. If the Vikings make the Super Bowl, I sincerely hope that the Jets are there to take him down. I'm rooting for NO next week no matter what - they looked pretty good.

Even if the Jets win this week, it's hard to imagine them making it past Indy. The Colts looked good against the punchless Ravens. Funny how a team can look so dominating one week and then the opposite the next. I realize Flacco was hurt, but still. It would be kind of remarkable if the Jets could advance, beat the Colts (who "let them in" the playoffs) and then beat their old QB Favre. But that's a dream scenario.

Other little facts I had been wondering about - when was the last time both #1 seeds hosted the Conference Championship? More recently than I had remembered - 2004. When was the last time both #1 and #2 seeds made it to the Conf Championship? That same year, actually. That year, one #1 advanced (Philly over Atlanta) and one #2 (NE over Pittsburgh). Last time both #1's advanced? I think it's 1993, Bills vs Cowboys.

Much is made of Norv Turner's coaching history. He's 4-3 in the playoffs for his career, 3-2 with SD. In the division round he's 1-1, with both games occurring on the road. They've never had a 1st round bye and are 2-0 at home under Turner.

Not much of a sample size.

In general, when I think of the Chargers:
2004 - Jets beat Chargers 20-17, Kaeding misses a critical FG and the Jets advance despite an Eric Barton penalty
2002 - Jets (2-5) beat SD (5-1) on the road 44-13 in a huge upset

I forgot about:
2005 - Chargers beat Jets at Giants Stadium 31-26, but looking at the box score it looks like Vinny Testaverde (in his 2nd go-around) and Brooks Bollinger played some QB so it must have been one of the bad years when Pennington was hurt.
2008 - Chargers dominate Favre and the Jets 48=29 on MNF.

People often compare the Jets defense to the Ravens because of Rex Ryan. Well, Baltimore beat SD this year in week 2, although barely - Lewis made a huge stop on Sproles at the end of the game to save it. In '07, SD beat the Ravens 32-14.

Finally, in computer simulations this week (aka Madden NFL 10) the Jets (me) beat the Chargers (computer, All-Pro) 42-13. But I also lost in an online game today 28-14. However, first caveat to the online game - I had a kickoff return for TD overturned by a holding call, got called for a facemask on a Sproles kickoff to my own 49 and Braylon Edwards had a fumble ending a drive where I was dominating time of possession. The other caveat - it's Madden.

Final note: During the Bengals / Jets game, I was at a bar and a Patriots fan here said, why are they called the "New York" Jets if they play in New Jersey? My response: Why is your team named after an entire region of the country and not a state or city? Or maybe we should call them the "West Coast 49ers." Sadly, I don't think he heard my response. Also, perhaps not every team plays in the exact city they are named for (e. g. Washington plays in Maryland).

Woooooo J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!!!

No comments: