Thursday, April 15, 2010

24: Season 8

Well, I finally caved and started watching 24: Season 8. Apparently this is the final season for this show. That's probably a good thing. I'll start off with the spoiler-free review. Granted, I'm only through about 13 episodes of the season so far (roughly 16 have aired) but I'm not sure I can continue.

The cast sounds like it would be pretty good. Kiefer Sutherland returns as Jack Bauer, Mary Lynn Rajskub is back for another go-around as Chloe O'Brian and Cherry Jones returns as President Allison Taylor. New stars added to the CTU team this year include Battlestar's Katee Sackhoff, Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Mykelti Williamson. Not a bad lineup. Anil Kapoor from Slumdog Millionaire is also present as a foreign leader. Plus, the show takes place in Manhattan for the first time. You'd think all these things would make for a pretty decent set-up.

Instead, what we get is a total retread of every other 24 season ever performed. If I had the inclination, I'd like to tally up the following scenarios that are now 24 cliches because they've been used so often. I won't even include the usual "hunt for the macguffin" type or "what is character x's allegiance" stuff that goes on. At least this year is fairly free of Presidential drama (although I've heard a certain character from prior years is returning, much to my chagrin).

So with some minor spoilers, this year we've been treated to Jack being forced out of retirement, a scenario where a CTU staff member has serious personal problems that are completely uninteresting yet seem to take up 15 minutes of some episodes, CTU being "taken out," a mole within CTU (that is _so_ unbelievable I may not be able to continue watching), inter-department squabbling between federal law enforcement agencies, and oh yes, nobody trusts Chloe despite her years of experience. I'm waiting for Jack's daughter to get kidnapped but I think she's safely on a cross country plane flight.

I'm glad this show is ending because it was spectacular for about 4 seasons, then horrible for about 2, then so-so for 1 and now back to horrible. If they can't come up with any new elements, it is definitely time to put this to bed.

No comments: