Sunday, May 15, 2005

Bad Start to Fantasy Baseball Season

At my fantasy draft, in the third round, when the team ahead of me selected Tim Hudson over Carlos Zambrano (the two best pitchers available at the time), I asked them, "Why Hudson over Zambrano? They're pretty similar in my eyes." The response was, "We just don't trust Dusty."

Maybe that's why their team is in fifth place and mine sits in sixth. Is it any surprise that after a 136 pitch game that the following happened?

From ESPN.com
Zambrano retired his first nine batters before running into trouble in the fourth and eventually leaving the game with what trainer Mark O'Neal called "tennis elbow." Baker said Zambrano will be re-evaluated Sunday.


Zambrano is my best pitcher and my team is dead last in K's. Dusty Baker may have been a bigger factor than I had thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what you're saying is that you believe you are a better judge of pitching than Baker and Beane. Your friends are smart.

Don't you remember when the Giants played in the World Series?

Now you know why Dusty is with Chicago and no longer with the Giants.

Who was the Cubs manager during Chicago's collapse in 2003?
If the Cubs won that series, then they would have played the Yankees and the Yankees would have won another title instead of the Marlins.

Blogman said...

I haven't said anything about being a better judge of pitchers than Baker or Beane. In fact, I would have preferred to have Tim Hudson on my team, and the other team owners' prediction came true.

I suspect Billy Beane would prefer to have Tim Hudson on his team than many of the pitchers he currently has if money were not a consideration. Fortunately in fantasy baseball, salaries are not a consideration.

Your comment about Baker surprises me quite a bit. After all, Joe Torre was the manager of the Yankees in the 2004 collapse, but also the manager in their 1998 amazing season. Surely the manager can't be blamed for the 2003 Cubs collapse? Everyone knows it was the fault of that fan.