Monday, October 29, 2007

Mariska Hargitay Gets Benefits from the Police?



In a curious article, Mariska Hargitay says she can't seem to get away from Law and Order. Why do I find this article so curious? Well, first of all, how does this little anecdote justify an article? After all, Law and Order:SVU has been on the USA Network nearly 24/7 for years, and the fact that a celebrity gets recognized while she's on vacation hardly seems like news. Second, it checks in at 191 words, which seems incredibly short even for CNN.com.

Also, it seems silly for there to be a 34 word summary at the top of the article.

Finally, Hargitay notes that cops have been "very patient" with her. Why would they need to be patient with her? Why is she getting stopped so often? Doesn't anyone else find this surprising?

Oddly enough, while I'm writing this, it's the #8 article under CNN.com's "Most Popular" section.

4 comments:

PJ said...

I think NYC cops just love Law and Order. I seem to remember Jesse Martin once saying that cops absolutely loved the late Jerry Orbach, who played Detective Briscoe on the show for more than a decade.

The show does portray cops in a very positive light. The characters are all fairly idealistic and morally upright, and they're rarely found to be corruptible.

Blogman said...

So you think she's just getting stopped by the police because they recognize her? It sounds like it's more than that:

"The cops in New York and L.A. have been, how shall I say, very patient. I've gotten a couple of warnings but they've been very gracious. There's definitely a bond, a rapport, with law enforcement," she said.

Words like "very patient" and "warnings" make me think that she's up to no good, and not just a stroll in Central Park.

PJ said...

Why couldn't it be because she speeds a lot, or is a horrible driver? I gotta say, I can't really imagine this actress getting into a whole lot of trouble.

Blogman said...

I'm not saying it's for anything bad like drugs, but it just sounded to me like she was getting pulled over / stopped for whatever reason much more than a normal person - and not to discuss her celebrity status.