Thursday, February 03, 2005

MoMA

I still haven't made it over to the new MoMA, but I saw an ad for it on the subway. The ad featured a photo of a very plain looking helicoptor that I guess they've got over there.

Now, is a helicoptor art? I don't really think so. When someone designed the helicoptor, this person was trying to make a helicoptor, not an artistic helicoptor. Perhaps certain helicoptors, if they were painted in a strange way or had funky aerodynamics could be considered art, but if they were mass-produced, that has to be another strike against them.

We could consider that many of these art museums contain anthropoligical items that are on this border of art/not art. For example, the Met has armor and musical instruments. These are just as much anthropology/archeology type items. Does this mean that the American Museum of Natural History is an art museum? I'm sure they have jewelry or pottery from various cultures. If we accept this helicoptor as an art piece, then won't we have to accept the National Museum of Air and Space as an art museum as well?

I suppose it doesn't really matter in the end. But these are the sorts of stupid things I wonder from time to time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well it's free for you, so go.