Saturday, March 12, 2005

Another Post about Steroids

In regards to his subpeona to testify in front of Congress about steroids, Curt Schilling says , "I'm still real confused as to why I was put in this group and why there are others players that aren't in this group."

Does he have short term memory? Curt Schilling likes to talk a lot, and he in fact told Sports Illustrated (as a part of the Ken Caminiti story), "I'll pat guys on the a--, and they'll look at me and go, 'Don't hit me there, man. It hurts.' That's because that's where they shoot the steroid needles."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you hate Curt Schilling. Possibly the greatest clutch pitchter of all time. If you disagree - please refute with stats not hate.

Blogman said...

This has nothing to do with hating Curt Schilling. Schilling is quite good but I wouldn't say greatest of all time. Why do I have to refute with stats but you can make broad pronouncements without stats?

Curt Schilling postseason-
8-2, 15 starts, 2.06 ERA, 109 IP

Mariano Rivera-
17-6, 70 games (relief appearances)
32 S, 0.75 ERA, 108 IP

John Smoltz - I don't feel like separating out his starting and relief numbers, but I estimate only about 15 IP are in relief.

14-4 in 39 games (26 starts)
4 S, 2.70 ERA, 199.7 IP

Sandy Kofax -
8 GS, 4-3, 0.95 ERA

The problem with these stats is that to me, a clutch game isn't necessarily the first game of a series, or a game when your team is leading in the series. It's usually when your team absolutely needs a game. Certainly Schilling was great in the '04 ALCS but other pitchers have come up big in similar situations as well. How many Cy Young awards has Curt Schilling won?