Sunday, March 27, 2005

Monkey See, Monkey Do?

I routinely root for the University of Kentucky in college basketball.

Why, would I, raised in New York, be rooting for Kentucky? Do I have a relative who went there? Do I like a particular player or coach from there? No, on both coutns. It's actually quite simple. While I've never been much of a college basketball fan, but this interesting history was pointed out to me recently:

YearNCAA Basketball ChampWorld Series Champ
1948KentuckyCleveland
1949KentuckyYankees
1951KentuckyYankees
1958KentuckyYankees
1978KentuckyYankees
1996KentuckyYankees
1998KentuckyYankees

Now, just because Kentucky won't win the Championship this year, it doesn't mean the Yankees are doomed, but it's a nice little synergy I root for every year.

By the way, Mets fans, you can root for Louisville, since their only previous national championship was in 1986.

That would provide some weird, same-state synergy thing that my brain couldn't handle.

No comments: