Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Whoa. Ashcroft resigns?

Wow, looks like Attorney General John Ashcroft won't be back for a second Bush term.

I have two questions:

1) Was Ashcroft serious when he said, "The objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror has been achieved, yet I believe that the Department of Justice would be well served by new leadership and fresh inspiration, I believe that my energies and talents should be directed toward other challenging horizons."? In particular was he serious about having completed the objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror?

2) Does this mean we'll get to see the boob of that statue of justice again?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think he was serious.
Because:
Before Ashcroft - 9/11 attacks, Oklahoma bombing, Waco, etc.

Since Ashcroft - no foreign sourced terrorist attacks on US soil.
There were a number of events that could have been a target of a terrorist attack - Superbowls, Political Conventions, Madrid-like attacks, etc.

Nada.

So he's done OK in preventing another attack.

Whether or not you FEEL safe is another matter - this depends on the individual and I doubt anyone will feel as safe these from terrorism as they did before 9/11.

I disagree with a lot of the stuff he believes in but I don't think he's being too unreasonable claiming that he has assured security in this country. I don't think he is making a 100% guarantee of no more attacks as you are implying.

No boob of statue - Republicans control all aspects of government.

I think we'll be seeing him again - as a federal judge or Supreme Court nominee.

Plus now you get to see a Latino as AG - isn't that a good thing?

Blogman said...

Right. Except that 9/11 happened while Ashcroft was AG. And were those lack of attacks really due to things that the Justice Department did? If any part of the anti-terrorism plan were responsible it would be the military part.