Thursday, October 21, 2004

Historic

Well, I'm pretty surprised. No. I'm REALLY surprised. I guess Kevin Millar was right -- they were five outs better (maybe more?) than last year. I guess Schilling was right -- he shut up 55,000 + New Yorkers. But I don't have to like it.

I think the first team from 3-0 down thing is a bit overblown. In most of those other cases I think the team down 3-0 was much worse than the team up. In this case, the Red Sox were as good (and obviously better) than the Yankees.

The Yankees had a ton of chances to win this series, unable to close out games 4 & 5 and with the winning run at the plate at the end of game 6. So the Sox earned it. Torre made a few mistakes (why not pitch Mussina on his normal day Sunday instead of waiting until Monday? why bring in Rivera in the 8th of game 5 with noone out, first & third? why bring in Vasquez to face Damon in game 7 when the career matchup was unfavorable? why start Brown in game 7 over El Duque? why is Gordon in game 7 at all, and not rivera to shut it down?)

Of course, we all know how this will end. The Houston Astros, with Roger Clemens on the hill will beat the Red Sox in the Series after David Ortiz boots a ball because he's playing first base for the first time in months. The Red Sox, believe it or not, have more WS appearances than the Astros and more titles, despite not having won one since 1918.

On TV right now, I think Brian Cashman is going to cry. Sad day to be a Yankees fan.

No comments: