Tuesday, April 26, 2005

LA Angels of Anaheim vs New York Yankees 4/26/05

Wow.

There's a lot to say about this game.

This was the first victory I've been to this season, and it was a dandy. Alex Rodriguez stole the show with 3HR (3 run, 2 run, GS) and 10 RBI. His 3 HR can only be described as "bombs" into left field (2) and the center field area just in front of the black seats. I have to say, I was quite skeptical about A-Rod in general, despite the fact that I know he puts up decent numbers.

The Yankees, for all their troubles this season have unloaded recently on teams with 19, 11, 11, and 12 runs in the span of eight games. It was much nicer to watch a game like this, as opposed to the games where they start off three or four runs behind by the second inning.

A new chant from the bleachers made me laugh...
"Box Seats Suck!" followed by the standard reply, "We've got beer!"
The bleachers followed with a good response of, "Al-co-ho-lics!"

There's some guy who walks around the stadium with a little pan and bangs it to get people excited. Another guy had a cowbell. I want to have a gong, and I want to have it way up high in the upper deck. Every time an opposing player strikes out, "gooooong!" and every time an opposing player is about to catch a ball, "goooooong!"

5th Inning - strange stat line - the Yankees had ten runs on five hits, three of which were A-Rod home runs.

I'm watching Yankees Encore on YES, and Ken Singleton says before A-Rod's first home run, "How often do you see a home run after a walk? Very often." I'm not sure if this is true, but it made me wonder, "Wouldn't it be great if for the 'encore' broadcasts if the commentators re-did their commentaries to seem like they were perfect? For example, if a runner tried to steal, the commentator could suggest trying to steal a base, and if it didn't work out, they could suggest that it would be a bad move to steal in that situation. Then again, I'm not sure if anyone else really watches Yankees Encore.

Enjoy the photos.


A-Rod. This photo answers the question, "What does a man who has just hit 3 HR's for 9 RBI look like?" He would get a single in this at bat for his 10th RBI.


As always, a shot of the view from my seats. The same seats for the Baltimore game.


Vladimir Guerrero. I once saw him in Montreal throw out a runner at the plate from deep in the corner on a fly ball. While I like Sheffield, it would have been nicer to have Guerrero patrolling right field.


Gary Sheffield.


Bernie Williams. See the Angels bullpen in the back? The name "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" barely fits on the awning. These are the kinds of things I find funny.


Hit-dek-i. Actually, he was hitless today.


Tony Womack and Derek Jeter. I predict only one of these two players will be in the starting lineup in September (and his name rhymes with "meter").


Carl Pavano. He didn't get hit in the head with a line drive today, so even if he had given up ten runs, it still would have been a happier game than last time.


Bartolo Colon. I was expecting a pitcher's duel, and instead got a career game from A-Rod.


Colter Bean's Major League debut. Colter Bean is a pretty cool name.

In fact, it's been decided. This game featured the worst name in MLB, "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" and the best, "Colter Bean."

No comments: