Monday, April 04, 2005

Weekend Recap: Boston, Sin City, Final Four, Lost Phone Charger, Yankees

Here's a brief recap of my weekend.

I went to Boston and visited some pals up there. It was a good time filled with a bunch of media, including the Sin City movie.

Sin City is a good movie based on a good comic book. I will avoid spoiling anything about it here, except to say that it is based on three Sin City stories, The Big Fat Kill, The Hard Goodbye and That Yellow Bastard. They're all gritty, black and white comic books. If you like to read the books that movies are based on in general, then be forewarned that the Sin City movie is as well adapted from the source material as the first Harry Potter movie was, that is to say that the movie's lines and shots are exactly the same as dialogue and frames from the comics. Personally, I usually prefer to read books after seeing movies based on them, as the books are usually deeper. In this case, this is fairly true, but to some degree it felt like I was just reading the storyboard for the movie.

Updated 7:30AM:
I forgot to mention that, in what is now a disturbing trend for me at the movies, I was forced to watch most of this movie from the corner seat in the front row. I have seen several recent movies like this, including Spider-Man 2. It is not fun to watch from this perspective. Also, to my surprise, the 1:30 showing was a matinee. I'm not even sure if I've seen a matinee in Manhattan anytime recently.

We watched the two Final Four games on Saturday night. Both games started out with close first halves, and they both finished out with lackluster finishes, with the favorites winning. The Monday night championship game should be rather interesting with Illinois and UNC, the regular season #1 and #2 seeds facing off.

On the drive home, I realized I left my phone charger at my friend's place. An annoyoing inconvenience considering my phone gets about one day charge time. This will make me incommunicado via phone for two or three days, at least.

The Yankees played earlier this evening. While it's exciting, and they won by a lot, I think the reports that it "felt like October" were a bit overrated. In October, every pitch and run could be the one that sends a team home. Not so in April, there's still another 161+ games to be played! It was, however, cold, just like October.

No comments: