Thursday, December 30, 2004

Gas Station Top Off

I was at the gas station the other day, and when the attendant (in New Jersey, all stations are full serv) topped off the tank in order to make my total a round dollar amount, I couldn't help but wonder, what if I didn't want it topped off?

What if, I was totally prepared to pay $8.17 for my gas and didn't want it rounded off to $8.50? It seems to me that gas stations have been getting away with this for ages. They're adding about 5-10% to their revenue by my calculations from topping off people's gas tanks. That's gas we didn't ask for.

Then again, for convenience sake it makes a little sense. Perhaps at the deli they should top off too. Instead of a "half pound of ham" perhaps we should ask for "five dollars worth."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's not like you're not gonna use that extra gas so they're not really making the extra off of you

and you'll wish that he did top off the day you don't and run out of gas and have to pay more than 33 cents to get your car towed

i always say "$X amount of meat please" because meat weight is hard for me to eyeball but money is easier to measure