Friday, July 01, 2005

Review: Alice in Chains: MTV Unplugged




Alice In Chains: MTV Unplugged

1996, Sony Music Entertainment, Inc
Vocals - Layne Staley
Guitar - Jerry Cantrell
Bass - Mike Inez
Drums - Sean Kinney

Collecting all those Pepsi iTunes caps paid off, as I was able to receive this album for free (and the cost of 13 bottles of Diet Pepsi).

This is only the fourth complete album I have ever purchased online. It's a bit hard to do, since I am so attached to liner notes and the total package. Unfortunately, the problem is, the more I like the album, the more I want the liners, so in the end I try to choose albums that I don't know much about or I'd like to try. The other three albums I had purchased were all Foo Fighters albums, and I got them for $5 each after Real had their $0.50 song promotion.

That's just a little background. While I've listened to all the Alice in Chains studio releases, I am by no means an avid fan of the band, and for some reason, they're one of the Seattle bands that slipped under the radar for me in the '90's. I'm only now starting to appreciate their work.

So it brings me to the Unpluggeed album, which is quite a treat. For the casual fan ilke me, the band breaks out some of their most popular hits, such as Rooster, Would?, Down in a Hole, No Excuses and Heaven Beside You.

The acoustic sound is much smoother than the electric versions of these songs, and Staley's distinctive voice booms over the instrumentals.

I wrote the above about a month ago. This remains my favorite Alice in Chains album. A great addition to my music collection, especially at the cost of a baker's dozen bottles of Pepsi.

No comments: